Monday, June 21, 2010

Blocking competition

My favorite weather widget is now updated. I know this because my Android told me there was an update to it. Now this is nothing strange, what bugs me this time is that HTC has sent a letter to the developer since the widget, in its design, included a flip-clock.

For some reason HTC, by the wording in their letter, persuaded the developer to remove the flip-clock component. Apparently it will not come back.

I may be naïve but I did not think you could own this design concept or at the very least that HTC was the originator of the flip-clock.

I just think the behavior, from the part of HTC, is below expectations. I can understand the rational for some legal department to pursue this, but from a publicity point of view it is just wrong. To my knowledge, the flip-clock weather widget from HTC is only available on their products and it is not available on the Android market. 

HTC, compete with your product not by pursuing developers.

No comments:

Post a Comment